Friday, October 28, 2011

PRAYING IN THE HOLY SPIRIT...

 KEEPING IT REAL
            BECAUSE HE IS REALLY AWESOME!

     So I have  quick little testimony to share, and I think it will be an encouragement to some of you. I know it was for me, and this I know....We all need to be encouraged as we continue  to walk to wherever it may be that the Lord has called each of  us to invest ourselves,as we learn to Commune With Him.  
     That being said, one of the things I feel I have been given a measure of grace (strength) for, is intercession, (prayer) ......  one of the dimensions of my prayer life is called praying in tongues. (another language that Is given to you by Holy Spirit...Acts2:32-33& 38-39) this is an area that I have tried to be consistent with, as I continue my relationship with God.  Some seasons I pray pretty regularly, and some seasons I am on and off, but I decided a long time ago, I would rather rely on God praying through me than what I might pray.... Though I must admit that sometimes, I wrestle with thoughts as to whether I am just making the prayer language up in my head...sooooo...
        Some times, during a prayer group that I am part of on Wednesday mornings, as we are praying and worshiping, there will be a time of praying or singing in tongues. On this particular morning there was a time of singing in the spirit (tongues) and we happened to have a young lady with us from Spain, who is living at my friend Moniques home for a temporary season, (The prayer group is at Moniques) after every one had gone home, she told Monique that I was singing in Spanish during prayer! Guess what? I only know 3 words in Spanish: thank you, your welcome, and bathroom...and those were not the words I was singing! She gave Monique some of the words that I was singing...glory ...honor...savior ...king...  Yup!  Even though at times, I wondered if I was just loony, I kept on pressing in with the gift I was given ........


 Paul  wrote about this gift more than once ...here are a few places he mentions tongues....
Acts 19:5-6      New International Version (NIV)
5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 


1 Corinthians 12:4-11       New International Version (NIV)
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.
 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.
 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,
10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.


1 Corinthians 12:27-28     New International Version (NIV)
 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues.


So my encouragement to you dear one, is to continue in the gift that God has given you.....because though we don't always know the fruit, when we walk by faith (trusting God) wonderful things really Do happen! Praying in tongues is also a wonderful way to strengthen your spirit, so I would  like to encourage those of you who have this gift to exercise it,if you only pray occasionally try doubling what you usually do, find times during your day: ... In the shower, doing dishes driving to work...........you will notice a difference !




HE IS IN CONTROL......A little side note,I just remembered.......A friend of mine was bringing her husband to a charismatic service years ago and was a little concerned that he would be troubled by what went on there,as he had already expressed his concerns about people praying in tongues. Well sure enough they sat rite behind someone who was singing in tongues very loudly the whole time worship was going on, when she asked him later if this bothered him, he did not know what she was talking about because all he heard was this same lady singing and sweetly praising God in English! So whether God changes our hearing or our speech ultimately He is in control......             


ONE LAST THING TO THINK ABOUT.....What if the man above has the gift of interpretation of tongues, and to prevent him from using it the enemy(demonic spirits) made him uncomfortable around the very gift that he may need to partner with ???? Something to ponder.......

1 comment:

  1. Cindy..... what a special posting. Thanks for sharing it..... now, Can you believe I just wrote my second ever blog post.... on how God spoke my heart by my learning a few words.... in Spanish...?! Honest, Cindy, and I posted only moments after you posted this........God, help us hear and receive and love on Your heart, the way You desire......

    ReplyDelete